Monday, February 24, 2014

Not a choice, but a must

I would have chosen normal vaginal birth a thousand times over a c-section. 
I have two beautiful and healthy children, thank God for that. 
My first one was a normal vaginal delivery and I am glad it was that way. Even though it was an induction, because he just wasn't moving as much as he should and freaked me out, he was delivered at 38w and 3days and was a healthy baby boy. 
The process of delivering was an easy one, went in to check his heart beat and when they checked me I was 2cm dilated   So they called my ob and she suggested, since I am already dilated and worried abt his movement, why not induce, I was already 38w 3days along. 
So she came and broke my waters and gave me some meds for contractions. That happened at arnd 10pm. Shortly after, arnd 12midnight my contraction were getting stronger and more frequent. The pain was still manageable.( I have to mention that on that day my last meal was something light for lunch and that was it.) Arnd 3am the contractions were giving me the pain of my life, on a scale from 1-10 I was at an 7-8. Being tired and so damn hungry, and after trying to sleep through the pain (I did manage to sleep here and there) ,they wouldn't give me anything to eat or drink, I asked for and epidural at 3am. 
Was happy the pain would go away soon. 
Yeah, right!!!! 
I had to wait an hour for it. While waiting I tried to comfort myself by breathing slowly and calmly. Finding comfortable positions was helpful as well. 
Finally arnd 4am they came and put in the epidural and my pain was zero again. 
After 3 more hours I was fully dilated and happy to start pushing. He came out at 8:17am like a "bullet", fast without me pushing his body out. He was clean and cute and crying just enough for us to know he is ok. 
I was cut down there so my ob was stiching me while I was trying to breastfeed a totally sleepy baby. 
Overall this was a pleasant and unexpected experience for me. 
With my daughter was totally different. 
I had to have a c-section, cause all my pregnancy she was a breech baby, not even once changed her position. 
Close to my 37th week I started to feel some contractions, not many but definitely there. When my ob checked me during my next visit, she said I was 1cm dilated. Unexpected!!!! So many things were abt to happen that month, but her birth wasn't one of them, not in my mind at least. My mom and brother were coming to visit, my husband was going to his sister's wedding in the Philippines, my doc was going on a holiday. 
Few days before her birth, doc checked again and she was still breech and me dilated close to 2cm. At this point we knew we will have a c-section, we just didn't know it will be so early. Hubby leaving on 19th afternoon, mom and brother coming on 18 and my doc leaving on 22nd December, I pretty much didn't have much choice. By delaying it would have meant my hubby could not have been there for his daughter's birth, and would have been done by a different doc, most definitely , an emergency c-section. 
So we decided to go w 19th dec. 
(Till this day I keep asking and wondering what a birth date 19th, but then it's her health and mine that matter) 
We went to the hospital early morning and went through registration and all. Went to the room I would be staying after my c-section and waited for people to start coming in and prep me. Wheeled me down to ot and more pushing and pulling there, and they weren't even started w my c-section. IV's and epidural and blood pressure checking, etc. finally my doc came in and she told me as soon as she cuts through my tummy and all, my husband can come in. And so he did abt 15 later. Didn't feel a thing of what she was doing there. Then, suddenly heard a cry, OMG, there she was my beautiful squishy baby girl. Once they wrapped her in a towel they brought her to me and when I smelled her I felt soooo good. She had the sweetest smell. Have never smelled that before. Took some pics w her and then they whisked her away for cleaning and others. My hubby went w her and took some more pics. After wheeling me back to my room everything was peace and lots of silence. Later on my hubby came and stayed w me for a while. My uterus started contracting and felt some pain. Still ok. Then he left to bring over my mom, brother and my son. From the time he left till he came back I felt I am delivering another child. The pain was worse and worse by the minute. I couldn't even find a comfy position cause I was still numb from the waist down so I was crying instinctively without stopping. I called the nurse and asked what was happening, as no one told me I had an IV w meds for contracting my uterus. I told her to reduce it or to increase my pain meds cause I felt I am going to die there. So for abt 3-4 hours was in deep deep pain, worst ever. And then slowly slowly was easing and I started to feel better and better. 
Finally they brought my baby girl and I was able to hold her from a lying position, wasn't even able to breastfeed her so I told the nurses to bottle feed her for me. So happy to finally hold her. She was awaited by so many in my family cause she is the only granddaughter and great-granddaughter. 
My mom, brother and hubby and my ds came shortly and they were so happy to see her. 
I asked to be checked out one day early because I was feeling horrible in the hospital and my hubby was away those days so my mom and brother had to take care of my ds, which missed me like crazy. 
So that is the story of my to births. Like I said, the second one was a must and not my choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment